Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A math Problem

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 9 of 9
 [ 178 posts ] 
A math Problem
Author Message
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

he_who_is_nobody wrote:[quoteX/(real numbers)(one's time)(one's memory)(y)(z)....

What is wrong with that equation? Would that not be how we determine the odds of picking a number at random? Remember, we are talking about the odds. If that is not how we would calculate the odds, please show us how.



the problem is that you are not suppose to multiply all that stuff




the actual ecuación would be X / the smallest of all these stuff (real numbers)(one's time)(one's memory)(y)(z)


so for example

Time = enough time to write a number with 1,000 digits or less

Memory = enough memory to type a number with 10,000 digits or less

Y = enough Y to type a number with 100,000 digits or less

Z = enough Y to type a number with 1,000,000 digits or less





Given that time is the smallest of all, equation would be x/ 1,000


so in other words, it doesn't matter if you have enough memory to type 10,000 digits or infinite XYZ, given that you only have time to type 1,000 digits, 1,000 is your limit.


UNDERSTAND?
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2434Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: A math Problem

leroy wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:You're being aggravatingly dishonest Leroy. You ignored these:

Do you understand that infinity is not a number, but instead is a concept?
Do you understand that any number divided by infinity is, by definition, zero?

.


yes I understand and grant both points.


however the set of numbers that can be typed in a computer is still a finite set, even after granting those 2 facts......................agree? yes o no?


No. I just typed this:

א‎0

Which is the smallest countably infinite cardinal number.

You lose. Again.

Go on, keep wriggling.
Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2434Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: A math Problem

leroy wrote:many things stop me, time would be an example, even with exponents logarithms decimals or whatever, there is still a limited amount of numbers that can be typed.


Just admit that you don't know any more about mathematics than you do about anything else.

You're demonstrably wrong here, and the fact that you think quoting me in your signature as some sort of gotcha is extremely telling. That statement is a demonstrable fact, despite the fact that you haven't the wherewithal to grasp it.
Last edited by hackenslash on Sat May 20, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: A math Problem

Greetings,

I think you got who said what confused, hack.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 am
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2434Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: A math Problem

Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

I think you got who said what confused, hack.

Kindest regards,

James


Oops, sorry James. It seems I was less than entirely diligent in my trimming of the quotes. Fixeded.
Sat May 20, 2017 8:28 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: A math Problem

Greetings,

hackenslash wrote:
Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

I think you got who said what confused, hack.

Kindest regards,

James


Oops, sorry James. It seems I was less than entirely diligent in my trimming of the quotes. Fixeded.

Thanks, Hack, no problem.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 pm
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

hackenslash wrote:
leroy wrote:many things stop me, time would be an example, even with exponents logarithms decimals or whatever, there is still a limited amount of numbers that can be typed.


Just admit that you don't know any more about mathematics than you do about anything else.

You're demonstrably wrong here, and the fact that you think quoting me in your signature as some sort of gotcha is extremely telling. That statement is a demonstrable fact, despite the fact that you haven't the wherewithal to grasp it.



Wrong, every time something (human, computer, robot etc.) selects a number randomly, it always selects from a finite pool of options, because there is always something that limits the options to a finite number of options. .........I provided indisputable evidence for this and you haven't presented any evidence for the contrary


No. I just typed this:

א‎0

Which is the smallest countably infinite cardinal number.

You lose. Again.

Go on, keep wriggling.


this is the kind of semantic neat picking that moderators should try to prevent.

it is still a fact that the set of numbers that can be typed in a computer is finite. and I already proved it.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Sun May 21, 2017 2:45 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2434Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: A math Problem

You proved nothing other than that you haven't the first fucking clue of what you're talking about.

And can the backseat moderation. They know what they're doing.
Sun May 21, 2017 6:33 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3386Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: A math Problem

leroy wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:[quoteX/(real numbers)(one's time)(one's memory)(y)(z)....

What is wrong with that equation? Would that not be how we determine the odds of picking a number at random? Remember, we are talking about the odds. If that is not how we would calculate the odds, please show us how.



the problem is that you are not suppose to multiply all that stuff




the actual ecuación would be X / the smallest of all these stuff (real numbers)(one's time)(one's memory)(y)(z)


so for example

Time = enough time to write a number with 1,000 digits or less

Memory = enough memory to type a number with 10,000 digits or less

Y = enough Y to type a number with 100,000 digits or less

Z = enough Y to type a number with 1,000,000 digits or less





Given that time is the smallest of all, equation would be x/ 1,000


so in other words, it doesn't matter if you have enough memory to type 10,000 digits or infinite XYZ, given that you only have time to type 1,000 digits, 1,000 is your limit.


UNDERSTAND?


Beyond the fact that I do not know how one would determine which was the smallest, why would we only devide by the smallest variable? As I keep pointing out, we are determining the odds. I have never heard of just deviding by the smallest variable to determine the odds. Care to justify your reasoning?
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon May 22, 2017 4:45 pm
YIM WWW
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

he_who_is_nobody wrote:[
Beyond the fact that I do not know how one would determine which was the smallest



you don't have to determine which is the smallest, as long as you gran that at least 1 variable limits your options to a finite set of options, you would prove that the odds are grater than 1 / Infinity





he_who_is_nobody wrote:
, why would we only devide by the smallest variable? As I keep pointing out, we are determining the odds. I have never heard of just dividing by the smallest variable to determine the odds. Care to justify your reasoning?






how many McDonald's hamburgers can you eat ? what is the maximum number of hamburgers that you can eat?


in order to solve this problem you will consider all the variables that limit your options


1 the amount of hamburgers that your stomach can tolerate

2 the amount of hamburgers available in the restorant

3 the amount of hamburgers that you can pay for

4 The amount of time that you have available

5 Y

6 Z



the answer would be the smallest of all these numbers, .........agree?


it would be wrong to multiply these variables...............agree?


as long as there is 1 variable that limits your options to a finite number, the answer would be less than infinite hamburgers .............agree?


even if 2 where infinite, the answer would still be a finite number of hamburgers..............agree?
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Mon May 22, 2017 5:11 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3386Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: A math Problem

Dandan/Leroy, again we are talking about the odds, not specific cases. Beyond that, you changed the situation to something that would have limits (hamburgers) from something that you admitted is infinate (the real numbers). It is almost as if you know you are wrong. In addition, your "example" demonstrates that you do not know the first thing about calculating the odds. All the variables have to be accounted for to determine the odds. There is nothing that allows one to throwout variables without first justifying that action. However, I did make a mistake with my equation. The variables need to be added, not multiplied.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue May 23, 2017 4:20 pm
YIM WWW
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Dandan/Leroy, again we are talking about the odds, not specific cases. Beyond that, you changed the situation to something that would have limits (hamburgers) from something that you admitted is infinate (the real numbers). It is almost as if you know you are wrong. In addition, your "example" demonstrates that you do not know the first thing about calculating the odds. All the variables have to be accounted for to determine the odds. There is nothing that allows one to throwout variables without first justifying that action. However, I did make a mistake with my equation. The variables need to be added, not multiplied.



he_who_is_nobody wrote:I am still waiting for you to do the math and show that you are right. However, I also know just how good you are at running.



I have told you this multiple times, not answering something that has been answered before like 20 is not running away.

As I said before, even if real numbers are infinite, it is still true that there are some variables that limit my chooses to a finite number of options, for example given that I have limited time, I have limited computer power, the site has limited space in the server etc. It would have been simply impossible for me to select a number with too many digits.

There is nothing wrong with the math; the mistake is the claim that all numbers could have been chosen and with the same probability.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3386Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: A math Problem

leroy wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:Dandan/Leroy, again we are talking about the odds, not specific cases. Beyond that, you changed the situation to something that would have limits (hamburgers) from something that you admitted is infinate (the real numbers). It is almost as if you know you are wrong. In addition, your "example" demonstrates that you do not know the first thing about calculating the odds. All the variables have to be accounted for to determine the odds. There is nothing that allows one to throwout variables without first justifying that action. However, I did make a mistake with my equation. The variables need to be added, not multiplied.



he_who_is_nobody wrote:I am still waiting for you to do the math and show that you are right. However, I also know just how good you are at running.



I have told you this multiple times, not answering something that has been answered before like 20 is not running away.

As I said before, even if real numbers are infinite, it is still true that there are some variables that limit my chooses to a finite number of options, for example given that I have limited time, I have limited computer power, the site has limited space in the server etc. It would have been simply impossible for me to select a number with too many digits.

There is nothing wrong with the math; the mistake is the claim that all numbers could have been chosen and with the same probability.


As I have already said, just because you can post a response does not mean you have actually answered anything. All you have done is strung words together in a sentence. You have not demonstrated anything you are claiming to be the case.

Now, care to show your math and actually demonstrate this to be the case? You can also provide a citation that allows you to add limits that would change the odds. Without either of these, you are failing to answer and just running.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm
YIM WWW
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

he_who_is_nobody wrote:[

As I have already said, just because you can post a response does not mean you have actually answered anything. All you have done is strung words together in a sentence. You have not demonstrated anything you are claiming to be the case.

Now, care to show your math and actually demonstrate this to be the case? You can also provide a citation that allows you to add limits that would change the odds. Without either of these, you are failing to answer and just running.



Again, if you ask me to type a random number from the infinite set of real numbers, I would still have limited options because some numbers are so big (have so many digits) that are impossible to type given my limited time, computer power etc.

That is my answer, feel free to ether accept it as valid or to pretend that you disagree.

Just for the record, are you affirming that events with zero probabilities happen all the time? Is it just an other example where you don’t affirm nor deny anything, you just keep your position vague and ambiguous?
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3386Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: A math Problem

leroy wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:[

As I have already said, just because you can post a response does not mean you have actually answered anything. All you have done is strung words together in a sentence. You have not demonstrated anything you are claiming to be the case.

Now, care to show your math and actually demonstrate this to be the case? You can also provide a citation that allows you to add limits that would change the odds. Without either of these, you are failing to answer and just running.



Again, if you ask me to type a random number from the infinite set of real numbers, I would still have limited options because some numbers are so big (have so many digits) that are impossible to type given my limited time, computer power etc.


:facepalm:

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Now, care to show your math and actually demonstrate this to be the case? You can also provide a citation that allows you to add limits that would change the odds. Without either of these, you are failing to answer and just running.


leroy wrote:That is my answer, feel free to ether accept it as valid or to pretend that you disagree.


:lol:

Keep running, dandan/leroy. It is all you can do. At this point, an honest person would just admit to their mistake, however, we all know that you are far from honest.

leroy wrote:Just for the record, are you affirming that events with zero probabilities happen all the time? Is it just an other example where you don’t affirm nor deny anything, you just keep your position vague and ambiguous?


:docpalm:

he_who_is_nobody on April 11, 2017 wrote:Actually, even though he said he was more likely to choose seven, he did not choose seven (that was hackenslash's example). Thus, he actually did only pick 7312004874512 randomly; which also proves hackenslash's point regardless of how much dandan/leroy whines about it.


If only you would actually read what we post, so much time would not be wasted by you asking questions that were already answered.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm
YIM WWW
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Now, care to show your math and actually demonstrate this to be the case? You can also provide a citation that allows you to add limits that would change the odds. Without either of these, you are failing to answer and just running



What exactly do you what me to prove?

1 That I have limited time,

2 That I can only write a limited amount of digits (given my limited time)

3 given 1 and 2 I don’t have infinite options


Which one of these 3 points do you find so controversial?

Or perhaps I am suppose to prove something else, please provide a clear answer, remember that I have poor reading comprehension and any unclear answer might be misinterpreted by me


If only you would actually read what we post, so much time would not be wasted by you asking questions that were already answered


Well given that I am a terrible reader and with terrible reading comprehension, why don’t you simply answer with a simple yes or a simple no?

Do you believe that events with zero probability can happen in the real world?
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2434Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: A math Problem

Number 2 is funny. It's almost like somebody who claims an expertise in mathematics sufficient to undermine a core principle of how probabilities work has never heard of exponents...
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm
leroy
Online
Posts: 1885Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: A math Problem

hackenslash wrote:Number 2 is funny. It's almost like somebody who claims an expertise in mathematics sufficient to undermine a core principle of how probabilities work has never heard of exponents...


Even with exponentials (or other short cuts) given my limited time, limited computer power etc. there is still a finite amount of numbers that I could have typed there, are still numbers that have so many digits that it would have been impossible to type.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:17 pm
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 9 of 9
 [ 178 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
cron