Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 52 posts ] 
Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?
Author Message
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Grumpy Santa wrote:For the sake of clarification, what statement did I make that Mars would consider "wrong"?

He interpreted your comment as saying the following:
Leroy wrote:if your brain tells you that the world is physical and you have no good reasons not to trust your brain, then it is rational to grant these experiences as reliable.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon May 22, 2017 6:44 pm
Grumpy SantaPosts: 382Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

MarsCydonia wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:For the sake of clarification, what statement did I make that Mars would consider "wrong"?

He interpreted your comment as saying the following:
Leroy wrote:if your brain tells you that the world is physical and you have no good reasons not to trust your brain, then it is rational to grant these experiences as reliable.


Odd... I thought I did a decent job clarifying that I wasn't saying exactly agreeing with that, that evidence matters and not just "feels".
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Mon May 22, 2017 6:47 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Grumpy Santa wrote:Odd... I thought I did a decent job clarifying that I wasn't saying exactly agreeing with that, that evidence matters and not just "feels".

Leroy either has extremely poor reading comprehension or likes to come up with fantasies rather than deal with was actually written. Both are possible results for an indoctrination-damaged-brain.

Sure, if you had written what Leroy thinks you wrote I might have objected but the reality is different.

Also, there's a difference Leroy doesn't get: there's a difference between someone believing something wrong once due to lack of information/sound reasoning and someone still being completely and always wrong despite being shown a thousand times why.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:

obviously, no one in this forums believes that he is a simulation. but at least form an atheistic / verificationist point of view there are no good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis



from a theist point of view there are at least 2 good reasons to reject this hypothesis



1 according to our view (well according to most theists) the mind is more than just atoms and molecules, we believe that the mind has a spiritual (non material) origin, therefore it would be impossible for an alien or any other physical being to create a mind, therefore it is impossible to create these kind of simulations


2 If God created us, why would he create us with a brain that provides false experiences? why would Good create a virtual world, with the illusion of it being physical?


so if we grant theism, there would be good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis

what are your thoughts on this?




Well, yeah. There are some people who argue that if we were to replicate the exact state of every particle in your body, whether physically or even in a computer simulation, then that replication would be you. I don't believe this would even be possible. Frank Tipler thinks it will be, 90 trillion years from now when we will eventually have developed a sentient technology which will gain an unlimited amount of computational power derived from the last micro second of the Universe's collapse. This power will then be used to run a computer simulation of every possible state of every partical that ever existed. Then we will all be resurrected. :lol: Or something like that..
Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm
leroyPosts: 1545Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Grumpy Santa wrote:Odd... I thought I did a decent job clarifying that I wasn't saying exactly agreeing with that, that evidence matters and not just "feels".


If our brain "tells" us that we live in a physical world, if everything is consistent with that idea and there is no good evidence for the contrary, it is rational to trust that we live in a physical world ..............is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


the same would be true with things like memories, if your brain tells you that you ate a chocolate last night, and there is no evidence for the contrary, it is rational to assume that you actually ate that chocolate, and it would be rational to reject the idea that you had a false memory.is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?



the same would be true with things like will, if your brain tells you that at least sometimes we can choose form varios options, and there is no evidence for the contrary, it is rational to conclude that we have will. is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?



those who affirm that we live in a simulation, our memories are false and that will is an illusion are the ones who carry the burden proof....... is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?

or in other words, what your brain tells you counts as evidence ....is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


////////////////

obviously I am not arguing that we should accept stuff based on our feels, at least not with the connotation of the word feels that you seem to be using, things like I feel that Mexico is going to win the next world cup, therefore Mexico is going to win the world cup, is fallacious and not analogous to what I said before, both in this post and else where in this forum.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Mon May 22, 2017 11:56 pm
leroyPosts: 1545Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

thenexttodie wrote:
leroy wrote:

obviously, no one in this forums believes that he is a simulation. but at least form an atheistic / verificationist point of view there are no good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis



from a theist point of view there are at least 2 good reasons to reject this hypothesis



1 according to our view (well according to most theists) the mind is more than just atoms and molecules, we believe that the mind has a spiritual (non material) origin, therefore it would be impossible for an alien or any other physical being to create a mind, therefore it is impossible to create these kind of simulations


2 If God created us, why would he create us with a brain that provides false experiences? why would Good create a virtual world, with the illusion of it being physical?


so if we grant theism, there would be good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis

what are your thoughts on this?




Well, yeah. There are some people who argue that if we were to replicate the exact state of every particle in your body, whether physically or even in a computer simulation, then that replication would be you. I don't believe this would even be possible. Frank Tipler thinks it will be, 90 trillion years from now when we will eventually have developed a sentient technology which will gain an unlimited amount of computational power derived from the last micro second of the Universe's collapse. This power will then be used to run a computer simulation of every possible state of every partical that ever existed. Then we will all be resurrected. :lol: Or something like that..



I would argue (but cant prove it) that it is impossible even in principle to create a mind or to resurrect a human naturally, ......... in the future scientists will try to resurrect a human (after resurrecting animals successfully) but for some inexplicable reason these humans will be zombie like humans, and will like things like will, morality, conscience and all the stuff commonly attributed to the soul.


anyway, in the future there would be scientific evidence that would ether prove or disprove the existence of a soul
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am
Grumpy SantaPosts: 382Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:Odd... I thought I did a decent job clarifying that I wasn't saying exactly agreeing with that, that evidence matters and not just "feels".


If our brain "tells" us that we live in a physical world, if everything is consistent with that idea and there is no good evidence for the contrary, it is rational to trust that we live in a physical world ..............is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


Yes, the incompleteness. The fact that evidence supports the conclusions the brain is reaching.

the same would be true with things like memories, if your brain tells you that you ate a chocolate last night, and there is no evidence for the contrary, it is rational to assume that you actually ate that chocolate, and it would be rational to reject the idea that you had a false memory.is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


Depends... false memories do indeed happen. If it was a rather... festive... evening then there's no guarantees my memories are correct. Quite a while back while in the Navy I was in Haifa, Israel. I was in a bar there talking to a lady (comparable age) who was in the military, hearing how things worked there. I had to be back to the ship by a certain deadline or it would not go well. I went from the bar to waking up on the ship, not sure what happened between points "A" and "B". Apparently I made it back on time, over a couple days I started remembering going back to the ship, but I can't swear those memories are accurate or simply gap-fillers the brain constructed to handle the mystery.

the same would be true with things like will, if your brain tells you that at least sometimes we can choose form varios options, and there is no evidence for the contrary, it is rational to conclude that we have will. is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


What if we don't have the option but to think we have the option? Don't get me wrong, I still suspect that we can exert free will with conscious effort, but most decisions I believe are made on "autopilot", with effort being required to override that autopilot.

those who affirm that we live in a simulation, our memories are false and that will is an illusion are the ones who carry the burden proof....... is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


Yes, your grouping of three different things and expecting a single answer. If someone asserts we live in a simulation then yes, they carry the burden of proof to demonstrate that. If they claim I am having false memories I would expect them to be able to verify that somehow (a video, etc.) but it may (as above) also be clear that I may very well be having false memories. For those claiming will is an illusion I think that for now that's merely a philosophical debate and I don't expect any hard evidence. It's an interesting discussion though.

or in other words, what your brain tells you counts as evidence ....is there anything along this lines that you would disagree with?


I process information and evidence, I don't use my thoughts alone as evidence.

obviously I am not arguing that we should accept stuff based on our feels, at least not with the connotation of the word feels that you seem to be using, things like I feel that Mexico is going to win the next world cup, therefore Mexico is going to win the world cup, is fallacious and not analogous to what I said before, both in this post and else where in this forum.


I was using that to try and clarify my position.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 am
Steelmage99Posts: 150Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:[
from a theist point of view there are at least 2 good reasons to reject this hypothesis



1 according to our view (well according to most theists) the mind is more than just atoms and molecules, we believe that the mind has a spiritual (non material) origin, therefore it would be impossible for an alien or any other physical being to create a mind, therefore it is impossible to create these kind of simulations


2 If God created us, why would he create us with a brain that provides false experiences? why would Good create a virtual world, with the illusion of it being physical?


so if we grant theism, there would be good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis

what are your thoughts on this?


None of the above "rescues" the theist from possibly being in a simulation.

1. Your belief in a spiritual origin of the mind is part of the simulation's programming.
Either you are programmed to hold that belief or the program allows for such a belief to be formed by participants by, through and according to the simulation's programming.

2. God is part of the simulation's programming. The very concept of your god is programmed into the simulation.
While you may view you god as being outside, and the originator of, the simulation, the god is in actuality simply part of it. Any belief you form regarding your god is happening according to the programming.
Whatever actions you god take, and your responses to those actions, is part of the programming.


This is of course before anybody points out that:

Point 1. Why is it impossible for these hypothetical super-intelligent beings to manipulate this supposed spiritual aspect that you claim exist?

Point 2. is an argument from incredulity. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 am
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 719Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:
Visaki wrote:Given what? :shock: Was that explained in the video (I can't watch atm) or is this just an claim? Or does someone have a very lax definition of what a "mind" is?


we can define mind, as any entity that is aware of his own existence

There are some problems with that, but I can ignore those for the time being. If a mind is an entity aware of it's own existence how can you justify the claim "given that the mayority of minds that exist in the universe are artificial minds that live inside a simulation"? Sure even I can write a program that seems to and claims be aware but this is hardly the same as actually being aware of ones existence. This seems like a statement that presupposes the Simulated Realitily hypothesis.

thenexttodie wrote:Well, yeah. There are some people who argue that if we were to replicate the exact state of every particle in your body, whether physically or even in a computer simulation, then that replication would be you.

Welcome to the Star Trek teleport dilemma. Is the person the same one before and after the teleport? Even when none of the atoms actually come from the teleported body? Or to put it in context, can the replicate be you even when original you exists? Or is "youness" singular, and the replicate is something else?

But yes, if one was to replicate exact state of every particle in a body the result would be exactly the same as the original. Same body, and thus same mind. This follows from the fact that as far as we, and science, can tell minds are based on physical constructs and can't be without. I do not know if this is really technically possible though, taking into account Heisenbergs ideas about uncertainty. Maybe well discover some way to scanning every state of a particle without affecting it in the future.
Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 719Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Steelmage99 wrote:2. God is part of the simulation's programming. The very concept of your god is programmed into the simulation.
While you may view you god as being outside, and the originator of, the simulation, the god is in actuality simply part of it. Any belief you form regarding your god is happening according to the programming.
Whatever actions you god take, and your responses to those actions, is part of the programming.

Maybe the point of the Simulation is to research what kind of universe a powerful God/AI make. That would actually be useful, knowing what a God/AI would do if it had all the power. I can only conclude that the creators of the Simulation, and God/AI, wouldn't want this AI in control of anything after they see what it has done. Sure the technical skills are pretty good but the ethical subrutines really need some more work.
Tue May 23, 2017 8:09 am
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1095Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:As explained in the video, given a few realistic assumptions there would be a strong mathematical argument for the hypothesis that we are just a simulation.

the mathematical argument would be something like this>

given that the mayority of minds that exist in the universe are artificial minds that live inside a simulation, it is more probable than not that you live inside a simulation

Yeah, no. Not buying it.

First of all, I don't believe there are any artifical minds inside a simulation in our universe, right now. As far as I am aware, not a single mind has been simulated yet. So the argument is on shaky grounds right out of the gate.

Second, just because something is hypothetically possible doesn't tell me whether it is probable.

Assumptions
1 There is intelligent life in other planets and/or in other universes, with enough technology to create simulated worlds with intelligent minds in it, where these minds are not aware that they are part of a simulation.

2 some of these intelligent beings have the willingness to create billions and billions of these simulated worlds

none of these assumptions has been proven but most people would grant that these assumptions are at least possible. So as long as you consider these assumptions realistic and probably true, you would have to consider seriously the idea that you live inside a simulation.

Why? Why would I have to consider that? Try to explain it.

So we assume there's aliens out there in the cosmos who make lots of simulated minds. Therefore it is probable that I myself am a simulated mind? Why? Why is that probable? Someone please put this into correct argument form so I can analyze it's structure. I'm sorry, I simply don't see this putative entailment.

Suppose now you were to convince me that it is likely I am part of a simulation. Now what? What has changed?
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 am
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1095Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:WIthout evidence I have no reason to believe it's true.


Well but you don't have evidence that you life in a real physical world ether, do you? all you have is your own personal and subjective experience.

That's true for everyone. Including you.

Nobody can really "step outside of themselves" and prove what the true nature of their existence is. But so what?

according to your own personal and subjetive brain you are a physical being living in a physical universe, but why trusting your subjective brain?

Suppose you didn't, then what? Suppose you didn't even trust your own thoughts, your own vision, your own hearing or anything at all. What could you then do? Stop thinking entirely?

Suppose you decided to trust someone else instead of yourself. How would you communicate with this other person? Through your vision, your hearing and your own rational understanding of their words. So to even ACCESS another putative source of information, you first have to assume that you yourself are capable of making logical sense of whatever source of information it is you are accessing.

This is true for everyone. You, me. Everyone who ever existed. If we can't trust ourselves, we can go nowhere at all. We can just give up, lie down and fucking die.

should we trust our own personal and subjective brains?

Who's else would you trust, and how would you verify that you are even capable of rationally interpreting someone else's subjective experiences if your own brain is flawed?

what are your thoughts on this ?

That the only rational option, if we want to go anywhere at all in life, is to have as a foundational assumption that we are at least some times capable of reasoning correctly.

Again, suppose we don't assume this. Suppose we assume we can't reason correctly at all. Suppose we assume our eyes lie and our ears are deaf. What now? What can we do? It seems to me that we don't have a choice if we wish to go anywhere in life.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Tue May 23, 2017 9:30 am
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1095Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

leroy wrote:obviously, no one in this forums believes that he is a simulation. but at least form an atheistic / verificationist point of view there are no good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis

Every reason you can come up with that the simulation hypothesis successfully "defeats", it will defeat equally on theism and atheism.

from a theist point of view there are at least 2 good reasons to reject this hypothesis

1 according to our view (well according to most theists) the mind is more than just atoms and molecules, we believe that the mind has a spiritual (non material) origin, therefore it would be impossible for an alien or any other physical being to create a mind, therefore it is impossible to create these kind of simulations

So in order to defeat this argument, you just assume it's impossible!

Well fuck me, why didn't I think of that?

How about this, then. God has made an immmaterial mind, which can simulate other immaterial minds inside of it, which can simulate billions of other minds inside of it, and so on ad infinitum.

Sorry, you haven't solved anything by asserting that minds could have an immaterial basis apart from atoms and molecules. The problem still applies.

2 If God created us, why would he create us with a brain that provides false experiences? why would Good create a virtual world, with the illusion of it being physical?

First of all, you're just asking a question here, not giving us any reason to believe what the answer is.

I can just ask the opposite question. Why would it not? Are you god? What the hell do you really know about what Gods are generally in the business of wanting to do? Obviously, not a goddamn thing.

How do you know God isn't a sadist who enjoys watching his subjects undergo thorough deceptions? Can you really prove he's not? If you can just assume he's not, any idiot can just assume the opposite. How would you then solve your disagreement?

so if we grant theism, there would be good reasons to reject the simulation hypothesis

what are your thoughts on this?

You plainly assume the things you need to reject simulation, but for no reason whatsoever other than "these are the things that would have to be true to reject the simulation hypothesis".

You assume: That mind-simulation is impossible.
You assume: That gods would not give us brains prone to false experiences.

How do you know these things? You don't, so why do you assume them? Well, you assume them so-that-you-can-reject-the-simulation-hypothesis. Which is obviously silly. We can't just assume, every time we run into some logical problem, that things are somehow fundamentally different in the exact way they would need to be different so that the problem isn't actually a problem. C'mon.

Suppose you tell me, regarding the second one, that your religious scriptures say that God is defined as a perfectly loving person who wouldn't do that sort of thing. How do you know this isn't simply bullshit implanted in the simulation to decieve you? You obviously don't.

These are just completely unwarranted assumptions, nothing more. I'm sorry but positing theism does not offer a superior solution to the problem of solipcism/TheMatrix/simulation.

You could be in the matrix. And this matrix could be constructed in such a way that all the things you believe are from God, are really just deceptions implanted by sadistic simulator programmers. How could you ever know, if everything you think you know are just planted there in the simulation by the programmers? Obviously you can't know. So what choice do you really have here? It seems to me we are in the same boat, neither of us can prove we are not in the matrix.

And no, we don't somehow prove we are not by just mindlessly assuming there's a benevolent God who wouldn't do that sort of thing.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Rumraket wrote:Nobody can really "step outside of themselves" and prove what the true nature of their existence is. But so what?

It's part of Leroy "Imma special boy with special senses" argument.

It's basically "You trust your physical senses but you dot not provide evidence for them, therefore if my special boy senses sense Leroy's brainless human choices/options/will/free will/libertarian free will/freedom/etc. or Leroy's subjective-objective morality I don't have to provide evidence for them, you have to provide evidence against them".
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Visaki wrote:
But yes, if one was to replicate exact state of every particle in a body the result would be exactly the same as the original. Same body, and thus same mind.


I don't think so. If an exact replicate of me were produced at this very instant, I would know in my mind that I existed before the other,. Also we would not occupy the same space, so both of our minds would never actually experience the same things.
Tue May 23, 2017 8:03 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3244Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?



Serendipity is an amazing things.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 am
YIM WWW
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 719Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

thenexttodie wrote:
Visaki wrote:
But yes, if one was to replicate exact state of every particle in a body the result would be exactly the same as the original. Same body, and thus same mind.


I don't think so. If an exact replicate of me were produced at this very instant, I would know in my mind that I existed before the other,. Also we would not occupy the same space, so both of our minds would never actually experience the same things.

Actually you wouldn't know that your mind existed before the other. With your mentality the both of "you" would probably think that they were the original.

I though it would have been self evident that you wouldn't occupy the same space. Replicating you would make an exact copy, not a superpositioned one. Both "you"s would start having their own experience starting at the time of the replication, but they would share exactly the experience from before the replication.
Wed May 24, 2017 7:05 am
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Visaki wrote:Actually you wouldn't know that your mind existed before the other. With your mentality the both of "you" would probably think that they were the original.


One would have a correct knowledge of the events leading to the creation of the replicant.
Wed May 24, 2017 12:03 pm
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1095Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

thenexttodie wrote:
Visaki wrote:Actually you wouldn't know that your mind existed before the other. With your mentality the both of "you" would probably think that they were the original.


One would have a correct knowledge of the events leading to the creation of the replicant.

Yes, but both of you would believe the same thing and have the same remembered experiences.

I think it could be done though, if we imagine the replication process involves you being told to stand on a red circle and then scanned, and then when the scanning is finished, the copying will proceed and the copy will emerge on a yellow circle next to you.
That way, when the copying has been done, you can just look down and see if you are on the red or yellow circle and in that way know whether you are the original or the copy. The copy will be the one who looks down and sees himself stand on a yellow circle (assuming of course that you weren't told a falsehood). And the copy will know this, because he will have the exact memory you do up until the point of the moment the scanning is finished, so he will also remember being told that the copy will emerge on the yellow circle.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm
Grumpy SantaPosts: 382Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation?

Rumraket wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:
One would have a correct knowledge of the events leading to the creation of the replicant.

Yes, but both of you would believe the same thing and have the same remembered experiences.

I think it could be done though, if we imagine the replication process involves you being told to stand on a red circle and then scanned, and then when the scanning is finished, the copying will proceed and the copy will emerge on a yellow circle next to you.
That way, when the copying has been done, you can just look down and see if you are on the red or yellow circle and in that way know whether you are the original or the copy. The copy will be the one who looks down and sees himself stand on a yellow circle (assuming of course that you weren't told a falsehood). And the copy will know this, because he will have the exact memory you do up until the point of the moment the scanning is finished, so he will also remember being told that the copy will emerge on the yellow circle.


Wouldn't that be horribly cruel though? Imagine opening your eyes, knowing you are you and having all of your life's experiences, but then being told you're a copy, no that isn't actually your family that you still love so no you can't go home and be with them, no, that isn't your home, you belong to us... what a horrific fate that would be for the copy.

It makes you wonder how many "copies" would then seek to replace the "original" so they could have their lives back...
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 pm
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 52 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: itsdemtitans and 6 guests