Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Ants and Aliens

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 4 of 4
 [ 71 posts ] 
Ants and Aliens
Author Message
SparhafocPosts: 1330Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
:lol: / :facepalm:

As if we needed more evidence of your terrible reading comprehension. This is just sad.



LEROY doesn't understand what WLC's position is.

Which is sad enough given how he's spent so long fellating himself publicly about his awesomeness.

But when you also appreciate that WLC's position is fatuous make-believe built from desired religious conclusion backwards, it becomes really sad.

LEROY's not even not even wrong! ;)
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2954Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

Greetings,

The Implications Of Cosmic Silence

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 pm
leroyPosts: 1744Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

hackenslash wrote:
leroy wrote:would you say that it is highly unlikely to find an intelligent civilization that is very good in innovating technology to solve practical problems (transportation, computers, drugs, etc.) but that is largely uninterested in finding intelligent life in other planets?


I'd say the question is loaded. Whether or not such a species was interested in finding life on other planets, it would be transmitting, and those transmissions would be detectable (with all due caveats covered in the blog post I linked upthread).

.


so what is your answer, yes or no?
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 am
leroyPosts: 1744Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

Sparhafoc wrote:
leroy wrote:I would disagree, what I call scientific curiosity doesn't necessarily imply what I call Metaphysical curiosity.


Yes, of course you would disagree by assertion, you just can't disagree with logic, argument, or reason.

[


so what you are saying is that any intelligent civilization capable of producing high technology would necessarily be interested in finding life in other planets, interested in understanding their origin and interested in knowing the names of their ancient kings?

can you support your assertion?




Cars? You mean they defined the notion of traveling between places separated by great distance - and how did they alight on this concept without possessing any curiosity?


yes, that is my point, Aliens could be interested in inventing stuff that would allow them to travel form point A to point B (cars) but that doesn't necessarily implies that they would also be interested in creating devises that would allow them to know if there is life in other planets or not.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 am
SparhafocPosts: 1330Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

leroy wrote:so what you are saying is that any intelligent civilization capable of producing high technology would necessarily be interested in finding life in other planets, interested in understanding their origin and interested in knowing the names of their ancient kings?

can you support your assertion?


I did 3 times LEROY.

Your failure to read does not equate to a failure in my presentation.




leroy wrote:yes, that is my point, Aliens could be interested in inventing stuff that would allow them to travel form point A to point B (cars) but that doesn't necessarily implies that they would also be interested in creating devises that would allow them to know if there is life in other planets or not.


Right, so in the paragraph I wrote explaining why your point was nonsensical, you reply confirming it's your point and failing to rebut anything written.

How tragically LEROY.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 am
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2353Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

leroy wrote:so what is your answer, yes or no?


Why should I answer an irrelevant question? We've played this game before, and I ain't biting.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:14 am
SparhafocPosts: 1330Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

hackenslash wrote:
leroy wrote:so what is your answer, yes or no?


Why should I answer an irrelevant question? We've played this game before, and I ain't biting.



/Cartman Voice On

You will respeck ma manufactured dichotomy!
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:16 am
leroyPosts: 1744Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

hackenslash wrote:
leroy wrote:so what is your answer, yes or no?


Why should I answer an irrelevant question? We've played this game before, and I ain't biting.


sure it is a relevant question, if your answer is NO, then aliens would be less likely to visit this planet. and this will help to explain the lack of alien visitors


so yes or no ?
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1330Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

leroy wrote:sure it is a relevant question, if your answer is NO, then aliens would be less likely to visit this planet. and this will help to explain the lack of alien visitors


so yes or no ?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy in which something is falsely claimed to be an "either/or" situation, when in fact there is at least one additional option.[1]

...

A false dilemma can arise intentionally, when a fallacy is used in an attempt to force a choice or outcome.


Could've been written for LEROY.


Not even wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

The phrase "not even wrong" describes an argument or a theory that purports to be scientific but is based on sloppy logic or speculative premises that cannot be discussed in rigorous scientific sense.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2353Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

I've already explained the lack of alien visitors, and still don't need to answer your asinine question.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1330Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Ants and Aliens

leroy wrote:sure it is a relevant question, if your answer is NO, then aliens would be less likely to visit this planet. and this will help to explain the lack of alien visitors



The funny thing is that your bait and switch will only work on you because, and this is a non-trivial point, it's a bait and switch committed in perfect ignorance.

From 'possible' to sweeping generalization of all aliens somehow accounting for something that doesn't need accounting for in less than a dozen words. It's mystifying how mystified you make yourself.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 4 of 4
 [ 71 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests