Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Panel Proposes Killing Webb Space Telescope

[ 5 posts ] 
Panel Proposes Killing Webb Space Telescope
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Panel Proposes Killing Webb Space Telescope

The House Appropriations Committee proposed Wednesday to kill the James Webb Space Telescope, the crown jewel of NASA's astronomy plans for the next two decades.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/scien ... .html?_r=3

:(
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 am
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1260Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Panel Proposes Killing Webb Space Telescope

Worst proposal ever.

:evil:
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

An additional $1.6 billion? Boo hoo. That's excellent value for money, and unless the US want to fall behind again in space travel and science in general, they must not keep scrapping NASA's projects. The Chinese have a projected moon landing by 2020 and they have a billion and a half potential workers to back that target up. They will get the job done. China are going to leave the west behind if NASA doesn't get it's act together, and that isn't going to happen as long as bureaucrats keep standing in the way.

ESA should be given more funding as well...
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 am
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

Dunno, personally, I'm still waiting for that fusion reactor in France, but sure, would be nice if they cut military budget and invested it in this project. :P
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 am
RigelKentaurusAUser avatarPosts: 372Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:24 am Gender: Male

NASA's budget isn't big enough to continue supporting a multitude of obscenely overbudget projects.

Current major costs:
International Space Station
Mars Science Lab (very overbudget)
JWST (obscenely overbudget)
R&D For the Shuttle's replacement.

It is a matter of practicality that one be cancelled. ISS is built and done and used. We're committed to it. MSL is built and about ready to go. JWST is far behind schedule and has not been build. And postponing US-based manned spaceflight is unacceptable to those who make the important decisions.
Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:59 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics