Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Mean friends are the best friends

[ 3 posts ] 
Mean friends are the best friends
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Mean friends are the best friends

From Science News

Source:
Association for Psychological Science
Summary:
People may try to make someone else feel negative emotions if they think experiencing those emotions will be beneficial in the long run, according to new research. The findings expand on previous research by revealing that people may sometimes seek to induce negative emotions in others for altruistic reasons, not simply for their own pleasure or benefit.

I can imagine such a study having similar results in the US. It's pretty much common knowledge there that the people who "talk shit" to you (especially at work) are the people who like you the most.

Evidently this study was done somewhere in UK. Since I think many of you are from the UK, I was wondering what you all thought about this.

(I only meet British people when I am vacationing in warmer climate and have always thought of them as being nice, almost to a fault, and are always trying to cheer others up.)
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Last edited by thenexttodie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Mean friends are the best friends

thenexttodie wrote:(I only meet British people when I am vacationing in warmer climate and have always thought of them as being nice, almost to a fault, and are always trying to cheer others up.)

They're being polite because they don't know you that well.

With my closest friends, my subculture is purely banter - the most egregious insults, demeaning, mocking, and general no holds barred sarcastic banter - the wittier, and more cutting the better. Drawing oohs and winces from others is basically how you keep score.

Really, only close friends though, and they already know I love them and would be there for them whatever the cost.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 pm
Bango SkankPosts: 180Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Mean friends are the best friends

Some form of reverse psychology at play?
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:34 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to Philosophy