Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Philosophical arguments against gods

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
Philosophical arguments against gods
Author Message
Bango SkankPosts: 197Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Philosophical arguments against gods

At first i must admit that i don't like philosophical arguments much, because you can pretty much support anything with them if you set premises to your liking, it's a rigged system at least partly.

But it seems to me that philosophy is used much more to support existence of gods than the opposite. I wonder why it is this way. I know of the "omnipotence paradox", but overwhelming majority are pro gods. What are your favorite philosophical arguments againts god/gods?

I give one mine, which i havent seen used. It can be used to debunk certain gods.

1. Morality comes from god/gods
2. Moral teachings of the bible / quran / -insert religious text-, is against my moral beacon in several ways
3. Therefore god/gods descripted in those texts do not exist
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am
Steelmage99Posts: 183Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Premise 1. Morality comes from god/gods
Premise 2. Moral teachings of the Bible / Qur'an / -insert religious text-, is against my moral beacon in several ways
Conclusion. Therefore god/gods described in those texts do not exist

Well, as a philosophical argument it isn't very good. Several issues crops up.

Here is one of them;

The conclusion does not follow the premises. None of the premises sets up any conditions for god(s) existing - so the conclusion cannot be about the existence of god(s).

In essence, all you can conclude from the premises is: "Therefore I disagree with the moral teachings of [insert holy text here]."
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 am
SparhafocPosts: 1895Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Usually, philosophical arguments are employed to address certain components of god belief, or specific aspects of a given gods ontology, rather than a general argument against all gods.

I think the most powerful, and most ancient, is the Problem of Evil.

Even honest theists admit that this is a very difficult issue with respect to their beliefs.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:40 am
Bango SkankPosts: 197Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Steelmage99 wrote:Premise 1. Morality comes from god/gods
Premise 2. Moral teachings of the Bible / Qur'an / -insert religious text-, is against my moral beacon in several ways
Conclusion. Therefore god/gods described in those texts do not exist

Well, as a philosophical argument it isn't very good. Several issues crops up.

Here is one of them;

The conclusion does not follow the premises. None of the premises sets up any conditions for god(s) existing - so the conclusion cannot be about the existence of god(s).

In essence, all you can conclude from the premises is: "Therefore I disagree with the moral teachings of [insert holy text here]."


My line of thinking was that if we presuppose that there is god/gods and morality comes from god/gods both as true, we then can start looking at various religious texts to see if we got a match up.

If there is no match up, wouldn't that mean that god/gods as descripted in those texts do not exist? And if there is a match up, god/gods in that particular religious text is indeed real?
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 am
Steelmage99Posts: 183Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Bango Skank wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:Premise 1. Morality comes from god/gods
Premise 2. Moral teachings of the Bible / Qur'an / -insert religious text-, is against my moral beacon in several ways
Conclusion. Therefore god/gods described in those texts do not exist

Well, as a philosophical argument it isn't very good. Several issues crops up.

Here is one of them;

The conclusion does not follow the premises. None of the premises sets up any conditions for god(s) existing - so the conclusion cannot be about the existence of god(s).

In essence, all you can conclude from the premises is: "Therefore I disagree with the moral teachings of [insert holy text here]."


My line of thinking was that if we presuppose that there is god/gods and morality comes from god/gods both as true, we then can start looking at various religious texts to see if we got a match up.

If there is no match up, wouldn't that mean that god/gods as descripted in those texts do not exist? And if there is a match up, god/gods in that particular religious text is indeed real?


Match ups with what?

I am personally a fan of the Problem of Non-belief.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:12 am
Bango SkankPosts: 197Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Steelmage99 wrote:Match ups with what?

I am personally a fan of the Problem of Non-belief.


*sigh* With god/gods my dear mage apprentice, with god/gods. Think of it as a ancestry research using DNA, in this case DNA is you and research is religious texts with god/gods DNA.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 183Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Bango Skank wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:Match ups with what?



*sigh* With god/gods my dear mage apprentice, with god/gods. Think of it as a ancestry research using DNA, in this case DNA is you and research is religious texts with god/gods DNA.



"*sigh*" and "apprentice"?

Dial down the condescension, please.


Bango Skank wrote:My line of thinking was that if we presuppose that there is god/gods and morality comes from god/gods both as true, we then can start looking at various religious texts to see if we got a match up.


So you are looking for match ups between your moral convictions and those of the religious text in question, and if they don't match up then the god(s) described in the religious text......does not exist?
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:04 am
Bango SkankPosts: 197Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Philosophical arguments against gods

Steelmage99 wrote:
"*sigh*" and "apprentice"?

Dial down the condescension, please.


I'm sorry, forgive me. I was drunk and aggressive due the reasons unrelated to this topic.

Steelmage99 wrote:So you are looking for match ups between your moral convictions and those of the religious text in question, and if they don't match up then the god(s) described in the religious text......does not exist?


Exactly! And this from the point of view that morals come from god/gods AND that those religious texts are claimed to be the word of god/gods. Like the DNA parable in earlier post.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests