Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Desire and ability lead to action. Or am I off?

[ 28 posts ] 
Desire and ability lead to action. Or am I off?
MarsCydoniaUser avatar

Post Re: Desire and ability lead to action. Or am I off?

thenexttodie wrote:Which part was that?

Well, do you have the desire to figure it out?

The argument was desire + ability lead to action. Can you figure out which one was missing in your "exemple"?

thenexttodie wrote:You're right. I would be extremely interested in any suggestions you have on how to stop doing that.

Wouldn't you have to lose either the desire or the ability to do so?

Since I don't count on you ever losing your desire to extend your tendecy to do evil to others, or lose your desire to troll, in this forum we'll be stuck with you as long as you have the ability to do those, aren't we.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

The answer to your question is; No, desire and ability do not always lead to action.
Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 152Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

thenexttodie wrote:The answer to your question is; No, desire and ability do not always lead to action.

Can you clarify a bit?
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatar
Posts: 2918Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Like crime, it requires motive, means, and opportunity.

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:58 am

Steelmage99 wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:The answer to your question is; No, desire and ability do not always lead to action.

Can you clarify a bit?
I don't know. I know that many people deny themselves instant gratification but would probably not be able to easy explain why. So I don't believe that desire and ability always determine action. Might look good on paper but I don't think it applies to human life.
Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatar

thenexttodie wrote:I don't know. I know that many people deny themselves instant gratification but would probably not be able to easy explain why. So I don't believe that desire and ability always determine action. Might look good on paper but I don't think it applies to human life.

So because you do not know and do not believe, therefore the argument must be wrong... Then, "looks good on paper" looks more convincing.

You can think about it and put it to tests:

What makes a person take an action (if that person is not constrained)? Consider the caveats mentionned in the first comment.
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:29 pm

MarsCydonia wrote:
So because you do not know and do not believe, therefore the argument must be wrong... Then, "looks good on paper" looks more convincing.

You can think about it and put it to tests:

What makes a person take an action (if that person is not constrained)? Consider the caveats mentionned in the first comment.

Yes I think you are right now. Not sure why I disagreed with you to begin with. I guess I want reject anything which makes me predictable or simplified. Maybe most people do.

Just out of curiosity, was the person you were debating this with a Calvinist?
Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:30 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatar

thenexttodie wrote:Just out of curiosity, was the person you were debating this with a Calvinist?

He was not.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:21 pm
Previous
 [ 28 posts ] 
Return to Philosophy