Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Help me with my term paper :D

[ 5 posts ] 
Help me with my term paper :D
DistructicaUser avatarPosts: 29Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:07 am

Post Help me with my term paper :D

Hello, I have a philosophy and religion term paper which I am doing now, however I need a good theist source for the "moral" argument for the existence of a god. If anyone can help me out that would just be grand :D.

Thankies :D.

(Anyone with a really weird/interesting view would be great, I would prefer to put some uncommon logic in there, I have Copleston for the generic version of the argument.)
"God will fix the anger in your heart"... Isn't that a little like going to a crack house for rehab?
Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 pm
WolfAUPosts: 564Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:56 pmLocation: Australia

Post Re: Help me with my term paper :D

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'moral argument for God'.

Can't think of any good links, but it usually goes something like 'morality must be either objective or subjective, if it is subjective than humans can do whatever we want (rape, torture etc), if it is objective it must have some metaphysical source such as God.'

That for good or evil to exist beyond mere personal oppinions, God must exist.

a bad example is something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCjecaZn ... annel_page

The counter argument is that morality is purely subjective, and that right and wrong are personal and collective viewpoints, but that we reach a shared morality by shared goals and a sense of fairness and cooperation (ie I won't kill you if you don't kill me). These are essential as a pack species as without cooperation, the whole advantage of a pack species is lost (we spend more time competing and afraid of each other than helping one another).
Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm
ebbixxUser avatarPosts: 227Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 amLocation: Nüå Jøïzæð

Distructica wrote:Hello, I have a philosophy and religion term paper which I am doing now, however I need a good theist source for the "moral" argument for the existence of a god.

There's always Google. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/moral-arguments-god/

Or are you looking for something more particular or off-center?

As a relatively recent example (and one that to me seems fairly repugnant in its anthropocentric myopia) I'd probably pick Adams' argument to focus on, if that's within the frame of the assignment, to focus one one specific theist's version of the argument, and offer challenges to it.

Referred to as Adams, R., 1987, The Virtue of Faith, New York: Oxford University Press, 144-163, and synopsized there towards the end of the Stanford encyc. entry.
Thu May 14, 2009 4:26 pm
DistructicaUser avatarPosts: 29Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:07 am

Thank you guys :D
"God will fix the anger in your heart"... Isn't that a little like going to a crack house for rehab?
Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2750Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

From my point of view the original creation of a God figure as a moral mediator had something to do with embedding fear into people and that they cannot get away with the bad things that they do.
In other words if people think that whatever reprehensible action is going to have bad consequences then this fear of the consequence will serve as a deterrent to whatever reprehensible action may be. That happens independently if it is a real consequence or not, what is important is that the people believe that it is real, and that the consequences are too great to risk.
Even in today's world we still make up stories and unreal consequences to convince kids to behave accordingly, either by fear of consequence such as the story of the guys that cuts your finger if you pick your nose or by negative reinforcement such as Santa Clause won't give you any present if you don't behave.
But unfortunately these stories for grown up adults have done more harm than good and have been grown to catastrophe, and it is just sad to see how people take the belief in Santa Clause to serious to the point of leading people to many bad example that we all know from history.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Return to Philosophy