Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

When do you want to die?

[ 34 posts ] 
When do you want to die?
LeçiUser avatarPosts: 137Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 am

Post Re: When do you want to die?

Dying is for fools. I'm never going to die
Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:15 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2750Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Leà§i wrote:Dying is for fools. I'm never going to die

"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:42 pm
DeanBlog EditorUser avatarPosts: 593Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pmLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Pinecone

Anachronous Rex wrote:I'd be happy to live to several hundred, provided my health held up... that's the real clincher though, isn't it? [. . .]

I am somewhat reminded of a statement that Daniel Dennett made during his interview with Robert Wright, upon being asked how he coped with death, and if he would like there to be an afterlife, he said:

"No. I would rather live to be a thousand!"

:P
~~L.N

“You ask ‘Is there any Florida?’ I’m inclined to answer ‘No.’ There is no Florida, there’s only this, this England, which nauseates my soul.” – DH Lawrence

انقلابی
About Us
Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm
ohcacUser avatarPosts: 56Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:05 am

Sunday, May 25, 2104 at 2:04:11AM

Im serious. That is exactly when I want to die, and if that time comes and I am not close to dying naturally, I will sit up at 2 in the morning on May 25th and kill myself at 2:04:11AM.
Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:05 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

why so specific?
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:46 am

I'll give you a hint: the date is 19 days before my 112th birthday. Can you see why now? Even the specific time perhaps?
Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:07 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1224Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

@ohcac

You should've given a timezone as well :)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Oh yes, a timezone:

United States Central.
Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:40 pm
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

You will be 111 years, 11 months, 11 days, 11 hours minutes seconds. Ha HA! Das ist gut
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm
kenandkidsUser avatarPosts: 1117Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm Gender: Pinecone

Wasn't Bilbo "eleventy-one" in the birthday party that kicked off the Lord of the Rings?
Teapublican commandment:
Thou shalt not educate or improve the lives of the lesser classes, the lesser races, or women.

Fiddler on:

http://obnoxi.us/
Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 pm

kenandkids wrote:Wasn't Bilbo "eleventy-one" in the birthday party that kicked off the Lord of the Rings?

Yes, but that was uncommonly old, even for wittle hobbitses.
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:29 am
spursbobPosts: 1Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 pm Gender: Male

Never. Nor do I want to grow old and feeble. I don't fear death but I accept it. It seems very cruel to spend my entire life learning for it to be all erased and lost for eternity.
Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 pm
LeçiUser avatarPosts: 137Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 am

80-90 years isn't even that much, I'm 24 so I've already lived 1/4 of my lifetime. In 6 years I'm 30 which means my young days are over forever. When you're in your 20's you can still look for the things you want to do in your life but when you're 30 you better hurry in finding it because you will probably want a kid soon and you need a good job, a good income, a good house and a partner. 10 years later after that you better have a career because if you don't have one you're pretty much in trouble. 10 years after that you're either in money problems or you have a decent amount money, your health is visibly decreasing, you're starting to get grey hairs and your skin is getting stretchy, you don't feel 20 anymore. 10 years after that you can stop working, your health is getting worse, you don't feel 40 anymore. 10 years after that you know that in the next 10 years you will get ill, get old age problems, you will die in the next 30 years probably. And it only goes downhill from there.
Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:52 am
NemesiahPosts: 429Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 8:00 amLocation: Mexico Gender: Male

Lallapalalable wrote:My grandfather is quite old in reference to myself. He was in his thirties when my mother was born, and my parents were about the same age when I was born*, putting him in his eighties now. He's deaf, can hardly walk even with a walker, has lost control over most controllable body functions, and is displaying signs of alzheimer's and dementia. He is no longer able to live alone, and takes more medicine per day than all the drugs Ive ever done. Frankly, I never want to get to this point. Once the mind starts going, I see the quality of life as exponentially deteriorating. If it costs more to keep me alive and going than the average person makes I no longer see my contribution to society, then I have become a burden. True or not, that's how I will feel.

So, I devised a little scale, judged by contemporary average lifespans and the ailments that accompany certain age groups with my genetics: Any time before I am 70, I will not be ready for it, 70-80 I would probably be able to accept it, after 80 I will welcome it, and if I ever hit 90 I will be begging for it.

However, medical advancements at the current pace will probably shift the actual ages by the time I get to them, so I could very well be working yet when Im 76 and not the slightest bit down on my age.

Edit: spelling and grammar mistakes that I am proud of everyone for not pointing out like it mattered.

I'm killing myself as soon as I hit 75 Maybe 80 if at 75 I,´m ultrafit and happy with mi life (my grand'ma is 75 and is going though hell (has been for the last 5 years) ) I really can do without the shitty years at the end. Part of good living is diying well.
Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:24 pm
Previous
 [ 34 posts ] 
Return to Philosophy