Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Whatcha reading at the moment?

[ 325 posts ] 
Whatcha reading at the moment?
malicious_blokeUser avatarPosts: 305Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 pmLocation: Proper Westcountry Gender: Male

Post Re: Whatcha reading at the moment?

Finished reading both books in the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton.

An interesting future human society with wormholes, forcefields, an all-encompassing future internet and...trains.

Of course you don't need to build starships if you can travel from planet to planet directly using locomotives passing through wormholes.

That is, until you accidentally unleash a hostile alien species that proceeds to start dropping tens of thousands of nuclear-armed warships on you and nuking your worlds to buggery.

:)
[sarcasm ][/sarcasm ]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it
Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Reading the Witcher series. Pretty good, pretty gruesome.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:42 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3346Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

The First Human: The Race to Discover Our Earliest Ancestor by Ann Gibbons.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm
YIM WWW
CollecemallPosts: 352Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:08 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1186Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

I finished The First Law trilogy today. I liked it a lot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:02 pm

WarK wrote:I finished The First Law trilogy today. I liked it a lot.

The stand along books in that same world are good as well. On the whole they might even be better. Worth a read if you enjoyed the others anyway.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:22 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1186Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Collecemall wrote:
WarK wrote:I finished The First Law trilogy today. I liked it a lot.

The stand along books in that same world are good as well. On the whole they might even be better. Worth a read if you enjoyed the others anyway.

I ordered the first of three stand alone books yesterday :D

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm

Yeah I think I mentioned up thread that the ending to First Law can leave a little bit to be desired. But that's not always bad. Glad you are enjoying them. I haven't finished the last stand alone yet. I've started it twice and gotten distracted. I guess I'll have to make myself commit to it one day. But the first two were excellent. There's lots of good fantasy out there. I finally finished Malazan and have been sort of jumping from the books written by Esslemont in that same world, to Prince of Fools, to Dagger and Coin. I really like Daniel Abraham and Mark Lawrence. If you haven't tried any of their series you should put them on your list. Lawrence does a great anti hero and Abraham gets away from the standard middle ages in Europe setting that everyone seems to use. It's more Far East (Asia, Japan, etc). He seems to focus on characters more and the magic is subtle but powerful.
Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:27 am

I've just finished Best Served Cold the first of the three stand alone books in The First Law trilogy.

I liked how in this series you learn about the characters bit by bit. You discovery their stories gradually whilst the characters themselves keep changing.

I'm skipping the middle one of the stand alone books and will read Red Country next. Or I may get the new Mistborn book, Shadows of Self.
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:17 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2959Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Re-reading Schifreen's "Defeating the Hacker".

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:00 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

I'm currently reading Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:08 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2959Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Laurens wrote:I'm currently reading Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks.

Interesting book.

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:27 pm
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 706Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Just starting A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.
Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:43 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

My copy of On The Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier arrived the other day. It is pretty good and methodical so far. I may write a review of it for the blog when I'm done

Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:15 pm

I finished "Red Country" yesterday.
Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:16 pm

I finished Elantris audio book by Brandon Sanderson the other day. It was good, I got a Graphic Audio version which has a separate voice actor for every character. It definitely didn't feel as monotone to listen to as some other audio books I listened to.

Parallel to that I was re-reading the Mistborn trilogy, it's still awesome, I still can't stop reading it. Next, I'll try to get the new Mistborn book, Shadows of Self. And there's another one to be released in January.
Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:35 pm

I love Sanderson's books. I finished Shadows of Self a few weeks ago. There was another book with these same characters (The Alloy of Law). You might check it out if you get a chance. It fills in some of the back story on Wax, Wayne, etc.

I'm finishing Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence now. Flipping between it and Daemon by Daniel Suarez. That's a neat book. About a computer genius who creates AI for video games who dies of brain cancer. Only he left programs running in the background that were triggered by his death to start a chain of events he seems to orchestrate from the grave. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28novel_series%29
Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Collecemall wrote:There was another book with these same characters (The Alloy of Law). You might check it out if you get a chance. It fills in some of the back story on Wax, Wayne, etc.

I know, I've read it :)
Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:43 pm

I'm reading the Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Pretty good stuff.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Laurens wrote:I'm reading the Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Pretty good stuff.

It's the second book in The Farseer Trilogy. Did you read the first one? If so, was it good too?

I finished reading Mistborn trilogy for the second time. I couldn't put it down but I think my brain is failing me because I realised that I didn't remember a lot of the plot points and I read it the first time just one year ago.

Meanwhile, I order the 2 Stromlight Archive books.
Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:22 pm
PreviousNext
 [ 325 posts ] 
Return to Literature