Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Moral Argument

[ 130 posts ] 
The Moral Argument
leroyPosts: 1083Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: The Moral Argument

Grumpy Santa wrote:
Not a very impressive god. You'd think that it would be powerful enough to provide evidence so incontrovertible that someone would have no choice but to accept it. It should be smart enough to know what that would be for any individual, shouldn't it?

that is an irrelevant comment don't you think?

there are many explanations that theist would provide to explain the lack of overwarming and indisputable evidence for the existence of God, feel free to open a new thread on it, and I will comment on it

just a for your personal reflection, if you are a male, as you claim to be in your profile, why don't you provide more evidence for it? why don't you sent pictures of yourself and your genitals, your ID, or a study that shows that you have a Y chromosome to prove that you are a male?.............why don't you make your maleness more evidently true?

BTW, I am a hard skeptic, so after sending the pictures, I will be argue that you are not the guy in the pictures , then I will argue you are using Photoshop to full us, and then I would argue that your gentiles are fake or that the study on the Y chromosome I fake.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Mon May 22, 2017 5:28 pm
Grumpy SantaPosts: 382Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

leroy wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:
Not a very impressive god. You'd think that it would be powerful enough to provide evidence so incontrovertible that someone would have no choice but to accept it. It should be smart enough to know what that would be for any individual, shouldn't it?

that is an irrelevant comment don't you think?

No, not really...

there are many explanations that theist would provide to explain the lack of overwarming and indisputable evidence for the existence of God, feel free to open a new thread on it, and I will comment on it

Excuses, explanations, same difference.

just a for your personal reflection, if you are a male, as you claim to be in your profile, why don't you provide more evidence for it? why don't you sent pictures of yourself and your genitals, your ID, or a study that shows that you have a Y chromosome to prove that you are a male?.............why don't you make your maleness more evidently true?

BTW, I am a hard skeptic, so after sending the pictures, I will be argue that you are not the guy in the pictures , then I will argue you are using Photoshop to full us, and then I would argue that your gentiles are fake or that the study on the Y chromosome I fake.

Fortunately, to my knowledge at least, there are no religions being based upon my maleness. So while I'm sure you lie awake at night wondering just how manly I am I don't feel compelled to demonstrate that. Now, once the tributes start coming in I could be convinced to change my mind...
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 677Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

leroy wrote:just a for your personal reflection, if you are a male, as you claim to be in your profile, why don't you provide more evidence for it? why don't you sent pictures of yourself and your genitals, your ID, or a study that shows that you have a Y chromosome to prove that you are a male?.............why don't you make your maleness more evidently true?

There is a famous axiom that says "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". But it can also be said that trivial claims require trivial evidence (I might even have come up with that, so if I did you better give me credit).

Leroy, in his usual manner, mucks up what being a skeptic really should be about.
Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3164Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Visaki wrote:There is a famous axiom that says "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". But it can also be said that trivial claims require trivial evidence (I might even have come up with that, so if I did you better give me credit).

he_who_is_nobody wrote:... but only if AronRa does not accept trivial evidence for trivial claims.

;)
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue May 23, 2017 4:32 pm
YIM WWW
thenexttodiePosts: 612Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Grumpy Santa wrote:You'd think that it would be powerful enough to provide evidence so incontrovertible that someone would have no choice but to accept it. ?

You obviously have never been married.
Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1006Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

leroy wrote:so which of these 2 premises you find more probably wrong than true? just answer 1 or 2

I wont ever get a direct answer right?

Both. I reject both premises. Outright.

They're not just probably wrong. I would make the much stronger claim that given the definition of "objective fact" that you supplied with your post, they're provably and essentially completely wrong in every way I can make rational sense of them under that definition of objective fact.

There might be another sense of the word objective in which one or both of the presises are true, but they're not given the definition offered.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:43 am
Grumpy SantaPosts: 382Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

thenexttodie wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:You'd think that it would be powerful enough to provide evidence so incontrovertible that someone would have no choice but to accept it. ?

You obviously have never been married.

That may come as a surprise to my wife of 20 years and our kids. :D
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2948Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

The whole moral argument is bollocks.

You might as well say if God exists then God exists. I've never seen a coherent explanation for how objective moral values necessitate the existence of God nor have I seen a coherent argument for the existence of objective moral values. William Lane Craig basically just says we all know they exist. Thats not a fucking argument.

Objective moral values exist, we all know it, if you deny that well you're wrong. I win.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 am
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1006Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Laurens wrote:The whole moral argument is bollocks.

You might as well say if God exists then God exists. I've never seen a coherent explanation for how objective moral values necessitate the existence of God nor have I seen a coherent argument for the existence of objective moral values. William Lane Craig basically just says we all know they exist. Thats not a fucking argument.

Objective moral values exist, we all know it, if you deny that well you're wrong. I win.

Yep. exactly.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 am
thenexttodiePosts: 612Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

thenexttodie wrote:You obviously have never been married.

Grumpy Santa wrote:That may come as a surprise to my wife of 20 years and our kids. :D

:lol: Congratulations
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 pm
Previous
 [ 130 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion